Sunday, July 9, 2023

Thank God for Jesus’ victory in the battle within.

 

Sermon for Pentecost 6, July 9, 2023

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.  He gave himself for our sins to rescue us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father—to whom be the glory forever and ever.  Amen.

Romans 7:15-25  15For I do not understand what I am doing, because I do not keep doing what I want.  Instead, I do what I hate.  16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.  17But now it is no longer I who am doing it, but it is sin living in me.  18Indeed, I know that good does not live in me, that is, in my sinful flesh.  The desire to do good is present with me, but I am not able to carry it out.  19So I fail to do the good I want to do.  Instead, the evil I do not want to do, that is what I keep doing.  20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who am doing it, but it is sin living in me.  21So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is present with me.  22I certainly delight in God’s law according to my inner self, 23but I see a different law at work in my members, waging war against the law of my mind and taking me captive to the law of sin, which is present in my members.  24What a miserable wretch I am!  Who will rescue me from this body of death?  25I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord! (EHV)

Thank God for Jesus’ victory in the battle within.

Dear friends in Christ,

            Most of us likely cannot imagine what it is like to wake up daily in the midst of a war, and the few of us who have are very likely to appreciate that we are not currently being bombarded with bombs, missiles, or other weapons of mass destruction.  On the other hand, however much we imagine we are living in peaceful times; the truth is that the Christian is always under attack in a deadly battle—a war not of politics or seeking to establish control over a portion of this country, or another, but a battle for the soul, a battle primarily fought between the old sinful nature and the new life of faith.  With St. Paul, let us consider the struggle and say: Thank God for Jesus’ victory in the battle within.

The battle between your old man and new is what Paul is examining here.  The Christian life is a paradox of sorts.  When the Holy Spirit brought you to faith in Jesus through the Word and Baptism, you were cleansed of all guilt as He implanted in you a new spiritual life that truly wants to live according to God’s law.  Therefore, those of us who believe in Jesus have the comfort of knowing that by God’s grace we have been rescued from just condemnation.  Still, as long as your time here on earth continues, you remain walking in this totally corrupt, sinful human flesh with an inherited nature that fights against your new life every day.  

Paul writes here about the spiritual battle that is, and must be, fought in the daily life of every Christian believer.  Yes, our new man appreciates the law, and as a child of God, knows it is good, because it plainly shows God’s will for our lives.  Our new man lives to do God’s will.  Yet, the new spiritual believer also feels the tormenting guilt of our sinful nature never measuring up to the law’s demands.

Naturally, the unbeliever often doesn’t feel this remorse that still troubles the believer.  To the unbeliever, God’s law is the enemy, for it accuses, convicts, and condemns the sinner’s weaknesses, his boisterous arrogance and rejection of God.  The unbeliever wants to rule his own life, make his own laws, and be the only judge for his actions, but the unbeliever is dead before God and destined for the fires prepared for Satan.

This all changed for you and me when the Lord brought us to faith in Jesus.  By implanting that new life in you, your eyes were opened to the truly wretched condition of your birth.  At the same time as you were given eternal hope through faith in Christ, you became aware of how hard it is to live perfectly holy.  The perfection you now desire often escapes you, as it does us all.  St. Paul wrote, I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is present with me.  I certainly delight in God’s law according to my inner self, but I see a different law at work in my members, waging war against the law of my mind and taking me captive to the law of sin, which is present in my members.”  

Now, some spiritual advisors will tell you that if you are truly saved you won’t sin anymore.  Or, they might say that the only way to know you are saved is if you see Jesus’ holiness in your own life.  However, the faithful Christian readily admits with Paul, Indeed, I know that good does not live in me, that is, in my sinful flesh.  The desire to do good is present with me, but I am not able to carry it out.  So I fail to do the good I want to do.  Instead, the evil I do not want to do, that is what I keep doing.”  This honest confession stands in full agreement with the prophet Isaiah who lamented, “All of us have become like something unclean, and all our righteous acts are like a filthy cloth.” (Isaiah 64:6) 

What the Holy Spirit, through Paul, is teaching us here is that we can’t rely on our feelings to know we are saved, and we can’t trust our own actions to please God, not even our good intentions, because everything about us has been corrupted by the infection of sin.  However, there is something that is certain, and there is One Man who we truly can trust to rescue us from this body of death.  The Christian believer has this sure and certain confidence: that God has given us the victory “through Jesus Christ our Lord!”

For a world of sinners, God sent His Son into the bloody brawl, a fight to the death.  The Son of God and man entered this world to undo what our first parents had done.  Jesus came to live the perfect obedience we need.  The temptations that so sneakily attack us, Jesus easily deflected.  Instead, confident in the holiness of His Father, Jesus lived in perfect fulfilment of that law that we now agree is good—even excellent. 

Jesus went into battle as the hero substituting for you and me, valiantly defending against the assaults of the enemy who tried his best to deceive, tempt, mislead, and trap God’s Son.  At the same time, Jesus never gave the enemy a foothold by saying the wrong thing; He never looked lustfully at a woman or desired any property that wasn’t rightfully His.  No evil thought ever sprang up in Jesus’ mind.  So, after thirty-some years’ of the devil’s sneak attacks, subterfuge, and blatant assaults on God’s Son, it was Jesus who remained victorious, the champion of the world forcing the liar to wear the chains of an eternally defeated enemy.

But then, after Jesus had won this spiritual trench warfare of living on our behalf, and the devil had been forced into submission—mercifully, miraculously, Jesus took the guilt for all the spiritual shrapnel and bullet wounds the devil, the world, and our own corrupt flesh have inflicted upon us, and all the people around us as well, and He carried all the guilt of the world to the cross.  There, on Calvary, God meted out on Jesus all the just judgment and punishment deserved for the injuries we have caused in this troubled world, for the destruction caused by the devil’s lies, and for every foul odor of sin among the dead and dying of the world.  For winning the war against our greatest enemy, Jesus’ reward was death for the sins of the world, and that’s exactly the way He wanted it, because that was the eternal will and plan of His Father in heaven, who loved you and me with an everlasting love—even to the point of giving His life for ours.

When St. Paul considered the battle that still raged within his own life, he exclaimed, What a miserable wretch I am!  Who will rescue me from this body of death?”  But, Paul immediately answered the question, I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord!”

As we examine ourselves, honestly, we have to admit with the psalmist, Certainly, I was guilty when I was born.  I was sinful when my mother conceived me.(Psalm 51:5)  Like everyone else, we have been selfish, unkind, greedy, and jealous, with wicked thoughts, and hurtful comments.  That corruption isn’t fully removed from us this side of the grave.  Yes, we have been given new life through faith, but our old, corrupt nature still clings.  Therefore, we can’t rely on anything we do to win us a place in heaven. 

Thanks be to Jesus, God doesn’t leave us stuck in the condition of our birth.  Rather, the Spirit put in us a new life that is sanctified to serve.  Through Ezekiel, the Lord promised, “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit inside you.  I will remove the heart of stone from your body and give you a heart of flesh.  I will put my Spirit within you and will cause you to walk in my statutes.” (Ezekiel 36:26-27)  Through the Gospel in Word and Sacrament, the Holy Spirit worked faith in you to believe in Jesus as your Savior.  In that new and living faith, “We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (Ephesians 2:10)  We know our works won’t save us, but they will work to serve and help those around us, perhaps even leading other wretched sinners to the saving faith that gives them new and everlasting life.

Furthermore, we are not stuck in this dual-nature paradox of saint and sinner forever, for the Lord has promised that our removal from this world in death will bring us the perfect holiness we believers now desire.  The Holy Spirit had Paul write:

I tell you a mystery: we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed—in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet.  For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.  For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality.  When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory."  "Where, O death, is your victory?  Where, O death, is your sting?"  The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.  But thanks be to God!  He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 15:51-57)

As long as we remain in this world, we each must battle daily in the ongoing war against Satan’s temptations and the corruption of our own flesh, while it remains true that our consciences still so easily bruise us.  That is as it should be.  Being sinners, we know we fail to live perfectly.  However, as Christian believers, we also walk with Jesus, who lived perfectly for us.  And walking with Him by faith, Christ’s holiness now also covers us. 

You see, the battle for salvation isn’t ours.  In fact, salvation is already won for us in the conclusion of the most epic war ever waged as Jesus rose victorious from the grave.  Christ’s resurrection from the dead is the crowning victory over all our enemies.  So, dear friends, here we stand rejoicing, washed in Jesus’ blood, cleansed of all unrighteousness, sanctified to serve, dressed in Jesus’ perfect holiness, and anointed to live and reign with Him forever.  Therefore, gathered together in His name, we Thank God for Jesus’ victory in the battle within.  Amen.

Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you faultless in the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, be glory, majesty, power, and authority through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all time, now, and to all eternity.  Amen.

No comments: